"Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment."
~ Claude Monet

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mount Holyoke Art Museum

Photo by Gina Duarte



A Recent Visit 

First, a glimpse of campus life on a beautiful April day. 


Some selections from the permanent collection

Photo by Gina Duarte
John L. Moore
(American, b. 1939)



Photo by Gina Duarte
Study for Steel (America Today Murals)
Thomas Hart Benton
(American, 1889-1910)

Photo by Gina Duarte

Christopher Wilmarth
(American, 1943-1987)
Gnomon's Parade (Late)
1980
Etched glass and steel

In background:
Cabrini No No's
John L. Moore
(American, b. 1939)


Photo by Gina Duarte
Gnomon's Parade
Detail


Photo by Gina Duarte
Kraft Salad Dressing
Janet Fish
(American)
1973
(oil on canvas)
Photo by Gina Duarte
 Aristide Maillol
(French, 1861-1944)
Grand femme assise
Bronze
1920

Photo by Gina Duarte
Henri-Edmond Cross
(French, 1856-1910)





Photo by Gina Duarte

Skaters, Central Park
William Glackens
(American, 1870-1938)



Photo by Gina Duarte


7 comments:

Bryan White said...

That picture of the museum at the top looks like the X-Men mansion.

I like those crazy salad dressing bottles. I don't see the Thousand Island dressing though. That's my favorite.

Unknown said...

Hey, Bryan - That's Janet Fish. I'm not sure what she calls herself but all of her art is hyper-real and very, very good. There is almost always glass or some sort of transparent reflections in her work. Her canvases are amazing close up.

Thousand Island ranch? :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, regarding the mansion. Mt. Holyoke has been consistently voted most beautiful campus in the U.S. by many college polls. My daughter is a graduate and it's in my neck of the woods so I've visited there many times.

I watched one episode of X-Men and didn't really like it all that much. Perhaps I should give it another shot.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful place to spend the day. Some interesting works. I am particularly struck by the skaters.

Unknown said...

Singing Bear - that is a nice one.
:-)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Ah!! I love the title of your blog.

What a great museum, I've never heard of it. If I'm in the area I'm checking it out.

Unknown said...

If you are in the area, please let me know and you and your family can come up to our place and have a glass of wine or iced tea or whatever. You are more than welcome. :-)